Many people suffer from allergies - seasonal, environmental and food allergies. Most people do not realize that by treating their overall health and lifestyle, these allergies can be minimized or eliminated.
When allergens come in contact with the mucous membranes of the nose, throat, lungs or eyes, an immune response is activated via the release of allergen specific antibodies called IgE’s. These IgE antibodies trigger the immediate release of histamine causing uncomfortable allergy symptoms such as a scratchy throat, itchy water eyes, sneezing and coughing.
Conventional allergy medication typically includes antihistamine, decongestant and corticosteroid medication. These medications act to block histamine release and reduce congestion and inflammation. Side effects of these medications can include: drowsiness, weight gain, fluid retention, high blood pressure, cataracts, bone thinning osteoporosis, muscle weakness, cough and oral candida.
Naturopathic doctors seek to identify the cause. The answer lies in a few simple questions:
- Is there inflammation elsewhere in the body that may be contributing to a heightened inflammatory response? Various lifestyle factors will contribute to inflammation, including high intake of refined foods and sugar, stress, poor sleep and environmental toxins.
- How is the patient's digestive function?
- How is the patient's general immune system function?
- What does their tongue look like? (Traditional Chinese Medicine)
A Naturopathic Doctor has a wide variety of treatment options to accomplish the following:
- Reduce inflammation
- Minimize hypersensitivity reactions
- Rebalance the immune system
- Heal the digestive tract