Everything You Need To Know About Naturopathic Medicine
The Practice of Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathy is a healthcare practice that focuses on the body’s ability to heal itself. Naturopathic medicine combines modern scientific medical research and understanding with natural healing modalities. There is an emphasis on lifestyle counselling, nutrition and botanical supplements and medicines, as well as practices such as acupuncture. There are six guiding principles for the naturopathic doctor:
- First, Do No Harm: The goal is to utilize the least toxic or invasive approaches possible. Natural therapies are preferred over pharmaceuticals.
- The Healing Power of Nature: Naturopathic medicine Toronto believes in the body’s innate ability to heal itself. The natural world offers most of the tools we need to get and stay healthy.
- Identify and Treat the Causes: Instead of simply treating the symptoms, we look for the underlying causes. True health comes from understanding the source of issues to get to the root of the problem.
- Doctor as Teacher: Education is central to naturopathy. Patients have an important role to play in their own health and wellness journeys, so they need to understand their own body’s system and what it needs to function well.
- Treat the Whole Person: Naturopathy is a holistic practice. Our physical and mental systems, environmental conditions and lifestyle choices are closely linked.
- Prevention: The ultimate goal is to prevent future diseases through healthy living practices.
The Training of a Naturopathic Doctor
Naturopathic doctors are trained as primary care providers. They undergo rigorous training in the medical sciences. They must attend a Council on Naturopathic Medical Association accredited doctoral program, where they receive more than 4,100 contact hours of instruction. This includes a minimum of 1,200 hours of clinical training. NDs obtain pharmaceutical training and can prescribe medications when needed. Once they complete the program, they must pass board exams before they are licensed to practice.
The Conditions Treated by Naturopathic Medicine Toronto
Naturopathic medicine addresses a wide range of acute and chronic illnesses and conditions, such as gut imbalances, eczema, chronic fatigue and stress-related diseases. If you are currently healthy, naturopathy tries to help you stay that way, reducing the likelihood of future diseases. NDs often coordinate care with a regular medical doctor to provide an integrated approach to healthcare.
The Place To Turn to for Natural Care
Higher Health Naturopathic Centre and IV Lounge is the place to go for naturopathic medicine Toronto. Our providers are all licensed NDs. We treat each patient as a unique individual. We work with you to create a personalized plan that meets your needs. Book your free consultation today!